Foundations D Set
LOE Foundations: Reading, Phonics, Spelling and Handwriting for ages 4-7
For those who have completed Foundations B and C and already have the reusable Foundations supplements.
All the Logic of English materials you need to continue to level D of Foundations! In addition to the Teacher's Manual, Student Workbook, and Foundations Readers for levels D, the Foundations D Set also includes Spelling Rule Flash Cards, used in the D lessons as students begin working on more advanced spelling concepts.
What is Taught in Foundations D (lessons 121-160)?
- Build fluency and comprehension with the phonics, language, and reading skills introduced in levels A through C.
- Read a book, a non-fiction reader, or a chapter from a children's chapter book in each lesson!
- 6 new spelling rules, including suffixing rules
- 6 Advanced Phonograms
- Fun activities develop speed and accuracy
- Strengthen reading and spelling fluency through spelling analysis
- Develop comprehension skills for reading fiction and non-fiction texts including inferencing, main idea, sequencing, identifying the elements of a story, and more
- Practice drawing connections between texts
- Beginning composition activities
- Create posters, lists, summaries, letters, and books
- Use morphemes to improve spelling and develop vocabulary
- About the Foundations curriculum
- Testimonials and Reviews
- Foundations Level D
- On the blog: The purpose of Foundations spelling lists
- Ages 5 to 8 (after completing Foundations C)
- As a phonics, reading, spelling, vocabulary, and grammar curriculum for Grade 1 or 2 (after completing Foundations C)
- Struggling readers
- Students with dyslexia
- Strong early readers ready to learn more about how written English works
Prerequisites for Foundations D Set
What is included?
- Foundations D Teacher's Manual - 2nd edition. Includes a new table of standards for 2nd grade fulfilled by Foundations C and D, along with kindergarten and first grade standards.
- Foundations D Student Workbook
- Foundations D Readers
- Spelling Rule Flash Cards - Edition 4
What else do I need to teach Foundations D?
Required: reusable supplements from the Foundations A or B Complete Sets
- Basic Phonogram Cards
- 1 deck of Bookface Phonogram Game Cards
- 1 deck of either Cursive or Manuscript Phonogram Game Cards
- Phonogram Game Tiles
- Student Whiteboard
- Phonogram and Spelling Rule Quick Reference
- Spelling Analysis Card
Required: other items
You will need the 13 children's books used in the Foundations D lessons. These may be purchased as a set or individually from Logic of English, or obtained from a library or bookseller of your choice.
- Polar Opposites by Erik Brooks
- Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik
- Should I Share My Ice Cream? by Mo Willems
- A Fish Out of Water by Helen Palmer
- Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! by Grace Lin
- Henry and Mudge: The First Book by Cynthia Rylant
- Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea by Cynthia Rylant
- Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel
- Dodsworth in New York by Tim Egan
- Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole by Wong Herbert Yee
- Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman (available in The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books)
- Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman (available in The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books)
- The Best Nest by P.D. Eastman (available in The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books)
Recommended: optional supplements
- Advanced Phonogram Flash Cards - 48 advanced phonograms, 8 of which are introduced in Foundations D. You can also download a free PDF of these eight cards at our Foundations D page.
- Grammar Flash Cards - 84 grammar rules, 8 of which are introduced in Foundations D. You can also download a free PDF of these eight cards at our Foundations D page.
Ordering for multiple students?
Each additional student will need:
And, if not purchased previously for levels A or B:
If teaching more than four students:
- additional decks of Phonogram Game Cards (two contrasting decks per group of four students needed for most games)
- Foundations D Workbooks are printed in only ONE version. Student samples are in bookface, and students complete exercises in whatever handwriting style they have learned.
- Lowercase letters are taught in Foundations A.
- Uppercase letters are taught in Foundations B.
For those new to Foundations
- Foundations D builds systematically on material students have learned in levels A, B, & C. It is not a starting point for the Foundations program.
- For young children who have already begun reading and know the concepts taught in A, we recommend starting at Foundations B (see tips for adjusting the pace and level of challenge on our Blog), moving quickly through the B lessons if appropriate and then slowing down for the more challenging material and longer lessons in levels C and D.
- For students 8 and up who are beginning Logic of English, we recommend Essentials (for guidance, visit our Help me choose tool or read more on the LOE blog: Do we want Essentials or Foundations?).
- Both the Teacher’s Manuals and Student Workbooks are needed to teach Foundations.
- All instructions for games are included in the Teacher's Manuals.
Suggested Pacing and Placement
Children typically spend about five to ten months on Foundations D. The lessons in D are longer and more challenging than those in C, so you may find you need to decrease your pace through the lessons as you begin this level.
The "right" pace through the curriculum varies by student and setting, but it's common for students to complete Foundations levels A through D in 2-3 years.
Older student placement note: If a student who is 7 or older is reading fluently after completing Foundations C and is beginning to find the playful style of Foundations too babyish, you may also wish to consider moving to Essentials instead of using Foundations D.
Set SKU: PFDS
Set weight: 6.4 lbs.
- 2nd Edition (2018) - now lists standards for 2nd grade as well as for K and 1st
- Full color
- Level D: 344 pages
- Compatible with any Foundations D Student Workbook
- High-quality paperback
- Full color
- Perforated pages for easy tear-out
- Level D: 287 pages
- 8 individually-bound readers
- 20 pages each
- Full color
Logic of English Cursive & Manuscript School Fonts © David Occhino Design.
We Also Recommend