Foundations D Teacher's Manual
LOE Foundations: Complete Phonics, Reading, Handwriting, and Spelling Curriculum for Ages 4-7
This pick-up-and-teach manual provides everything you need to guide students ages 5-7 to the next level in reading and writing!
Foundations D Teacher's Manual
- Scripted lessons facilitate learning alongside your students
- Teach new phonograms and spelling rules
- Comprehension questions and activities in every lesson!
- Engaging lessons about types of texts and making connections across the curriculum
- Spelling Analysis charts and scripted examples
- Vocabulary lessons with Greek and Latin roots from the books students are reading
- Materials lists
- Assessments that also measure oral reading fluency
- Clearly laid-out objectives
- Easy to teach! No training required!
More About Foundations D
- For students who have completed Foundations C
- Read classic children's books and nonfiction Foundations readers
- 6 new spelling rules including suffixing rules
- 8 Advanced Phonograms
- Fun activities develop speed and accuracy
- Develop comprehension skills for reading fiction and nonfiction texts, including inferencing, main idea, sequencing, identifying the elements of a story, and more
- Practice drawing connections between texts
- Beginning composition activities
- Create posters, lists, summaries, letters, and books
- Use morphemes to improve spelling and develop vocabulary
- Reading comprehension texts introduce students to series of books like Little Bear, Dodsworth, and Ling and Ting
- Ages 5 to 7 (after completing level C). Great for some eight-year-olds as well!
- As a phonics, reading, spelling, vocabulary, and grammar curriculum for Grades 1-2
- As a complete language arts curriculum for Grades 1-2
- Young struggling readers
- Students with dyslexia
Prerequisites for Level D
- Foundations B (lessons 41-80) and Foundations C (lessons 81-120).
- Students age 8 and up who are new to Logic of English will typically find Essentials the best starting point. Some eight-year-olds prefer the playful, high-energy style of Foundations and will find it the best fit, moving quickly through B to review and fill in gaps before focusing on levels C and D.
What else do I need to teach Foundations D?
- Foundations D Student Workbook
- Basic Phonogram Cards
- 1 deck of Bookface Phonogram Game Cards
- 1 deck of either Cursive or Manuscript Phonogram Game Cards
- Phonogram Game Tiles
- Student Whiteboard
- Phonogram and Spelling Rule Quick Reference
- Spelling Analysis Card
- Spelling Rule Flash Cards
- Foundations D Readers - set includes eight original nonfiction readers used in this level
- Polar Opposites by Erik Brooks
- Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik
- Should I Share My Ice Cream? by Mo Willems
- A Fish Out of Water by Helen Palmer
- Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! by Grace Lin
- Henry and Mudge: The First Book by Cynthia Rylant
- Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea by Cynthia Rylant
- Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel
- Dodsworth in New York by Tim Egan
- Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole by Wong Herbert Lee
- Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman (available in The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books)
- Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman (available in The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books)
- The Best Nest by P.D. Eastman (available in The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books)
- Optional items:
- Advanced Phonogram Flash Cards - 48 advanced phonograms, 8 of which are introduced in Foundations D. You can also download a free PDF of these eight cards at www.logicofenglish.com/foundations/d
- Grammar Flash Cards - 84 grammar rules, 8 of which are introduced in Foundations D. You can also download a free PDF of these eight cards at www.logicofenglish.com/foundations/d
- The Teacher’s Manual, Student Workbook, Foundations D Readers, and 13 children's books are all needed to teach Foundations D.
- There is only one version of the Foundations D Workbook, which may be used with either the cursive or manuscript handwriting style.
- Foundations D builds systematically on material students have learned in levels A, B and C. It is not a starting point for the Foundations program. For older students beginning Logic of English, you may also wish to consider Essentials (for guidance, click Help me choose or read more on the LOE blog: Do we want Essentials or Foundations?).
- Available in print and PDF. Choose the format you want from the drop-down menu above. (Learn about downloads.)
- Save when you order a discounted set!
- Foundations D Workbook is printed in only ONE version. Student samples are in bookface, and students practice the handwriting style they have learned.
- Lowercase letters are taught in Foundations A.
- Uppercase letters are taught in Foundations B.
- 2nd Edition (2018)
- Full color
- 344 pages
- Weight: 3.1 lbs.
- Printed in the USA
- SKU: CFDTM2P
- ISBN: 978-1-942154-68-6
Single User License PDF
- File Size: 4.8 MB
- File Type: PDF
- Format: Tablet
- SKU: CFDTM2A
- ISBN: 978-1-942154-69-3
Copyright Notice: Our digital downloads come with a limited reproduction license. Licensed users may use the files on any device or computer and may print them, but may not sell, share, copy, transfer, or distribute files or prints to people not covered by the license.
Single User License: This digital license is for use by ONE individual. The licensed user may use the file on any device or computer and may print it, but may not sell, share, copy, transfer, or distribute files or prints to people not covered by the license. The file may be shared ONLY with members of the licensed user’s immediate family or household.
Learn more about Logic of English PDFs.
Logic of English Cursive & Manuscript School Fonts © David Occhino Design
We Also Recommend