The Essentials Reader:
Readings to Accompany Logic of English Essentials
Engage the interest and build the confidence of older struggling readers!
Now available in both hardcover and PDF!
Thirty high-interest passages controlled for the phonics and language concepts students are learning in Essentials. When combined with Essentials, students are able to successfully sound out every word, with no sight words or guessing, thereby building fluency and confidence. Combined with the Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide and Student Activity Book, The Essentials Reader may be used as a complete reading comprehension and composition program for upper elementary grades or struggling readers of any age.
These texts are designed with the older student in mind. While many early readers appear "babyish" to an older student, The Essentials Reader engages students with topics such as sports, history, science, and inspiring biographies. In addition, The Essentials Reader supports students in developing fluency with the tools they are learning in Essentials, teaches academic vocabulary, and when combined with the Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide develops comprehension skills.
- High-interest texts written for older students!
- No sight words! - when introduced with the corresponding Essentials lessons
- Phonics controlled
- Natural language
- Fiction and non-fiction texts, including poems, a recipe, short stories, and informational texts
- Diverse topics such as sports, science, technology, and biographies
- Engaging illustrations and call-outs
- Scheduled as optional reading practice in the Essentials curriculum
- Pre-reading word lists marked with Logic of English spelling analysis markings
- Academic vocabulary
- Texts grow in length as students progress in ability
- Ages 8 to adult
- As a reading comprehension and composition curriculum for Grades 3-6
- Older struggling readers
- Students with dyslexia
- Students who are using Essentials or another complete phonics curriculum to strengthen basic reading skills.
- About The Essentials Reader
- Essentials: Multi-Level Reading, Spelling, Grammar, & Vocabulary
- On the blog: posts about helping struggling readers
- On our YouTube™ channel: Teaching Struggling Readers and Spellers
High-Interest, Controlled Texts
- Ten Quips
- Buck Got Stuck
- Acorns for Peter
- Bed Racing
- Just Call Her Shelly
- Molasses Banana Bread
- Felix the Frog
- Stars of the Sea
- The Toothpick Fighters
- William Kamkwamba
- Geothermal Energy
- The Tale of Paul Bunyan
- The Story of Chocolate
- A Perilous Escape
- Robert Smalls
- The Milkmaid, the Brothers, and the Lessons They Learned
- An Open Letter to the Banyan Tree
- The Boy Who Wanted a Drum
- The Message of the Drum
- Grace Murray Hopper
- Billy Mills
- Sepak Takraw
- Robert Louis Stevenson
- Biddy Mason
- Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide
- Essentials Reader Student Activity Book
- Essentials These reading passages are designed to accompany Essentials lessons and provide practice with the reading and spelling concepts introduced.
Available in hardcover and PDF. Choose the format you want from the drop-down menu above. (Learn about downloads.)Print
- Full color
- 184 pages
- Weight: 1 lb.
- Product SKU: CER1P
- ISBN: 978-1-936706-93-8
- Downloadable PDF format.
- Digital version - PDF formatted for a tablet, computer, or other electronic device, with full color and pages in standard order.
- Product SKU: CER1A
- ISBN 978-1-936706-94-5
A note for those using Essentials 1st Edition
The Reader lessons are numbered to correspond with the lesson numbering in Essentials 2nd edition (2015) and later. The Reader may also be used with the first edition of Essentials (2012), but some adjustment will be necessary because of the difference in numbering between the two editions. Appendix A, at the back of the Reader, indicates which phonograms and rules students need to have learned before reading each lesson's text.
Copyright Notice: Our digital downloads come with a limited reproduction license. Licensed users may use the files on any device or computer and may print them, but may not sell, share, copy, transfer, or distribute files or prints to people not covered by the license.
Single Student/Family License: This digital license is for use by ONE student or the members of ONE immediate family, including parents, children, and grandparents. If you are teaching additional students outside your immediate family, you must purchase an additional Single Student/Family License for each student.
Learn more about Logic of English PDFs.
We Also Recommend