Online Teacher Training Course - Spring 2016
Online Training - Improving Reading with
Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary, and Comprehension
March 31 - April 21
Thursdays, 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. CDT
**Registration closes at noon on Thursday, March 31**
Online Logic of English Teacher Training
In this four-week course, Logic of English® president and curriculum author Denise Eide will take you in-depth with the Logic of English, equipping you with a deep knowledge of the material and approach so that you can teach the curriculum proficiently. The class will combine in-depth instruction and expert guidance with hands-on homework activities to further develop your skills as a teacher of reading, spelling, and language arts.
Together we will:
- Learn how the five strands of reading—phonemic awareness, systematic phonics, fluency, vocabulary development, and comprehension skills—work together in developing strong literacy skills.
- Dig deeper into the linguistic and morphological structures of English.
- Discover creative, FUN, and effective methods for developing phonemic awareness, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension skills.
- Learn the simple linguistic concepts at work in words often taught as sight words.
- Gain a deep level of familiarity with and comfort using Logic of English lessons and the resources included in the curriculum.
- Discuss solutions for reaching struggling readers.
- Explore learning styles and ideas for engaging all students in learning to read and write.
Who Should Attend?
- Classroom teachers
- Reading specialists
- ESL teachers
- Parents of struggling readers
- Homeschool parents
- Reading tutors
- Anyone who is interested in learning more about how to effectively teach reading to all ages.
- 110-page Training Manual for this course included!
- You will receive a link to the PDF by email after you register.
- You do not need to purchase the separate Teacher Training Manual, which is designed to accompany our free training videos.
Each participant will need the materials from one of the following complete curriculum sets to use in the training:
- Essentials 1st edition complete set, plus The Essentials Reader, Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide, and Essentials Reading Student Activity Book
- or Essentials 2nd edition Volume I complete set, plus The Essentials Reader, Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide, and Essentials Reading Student Activity Book
- or Foundations AB and CD complete sets
Participants will receive weekly homework. To benefit the most from this course, participants should plan to spend 4-5 hours per week on these assignments. Homework will include practice teaching, phonogram practice, and reflection questions.
- Setting the Stage
- The Five Strands of Reading
- Introducing Foundations
- Introducing Essentials
- Phonemic Awareness
- Systematic Phonics
- Phonogram Group 1
- Spelling Rules Group 1
- Phonogram Group 2
- Handwriting Instruction
- Sounds with Multiple Spellings
- Finger Spelling
- Consonants and Vowels
- Spelling Analysis with One-Syllable Words
- Spelling Rules Group 2
- Developing Fluency
- Reading and the Brain
- Phonogram Group 3
- Vowel Types and Syllables
- Spelling Analysis with Multi-Syllable Words
- Spelling Analysis with Schwa Words
- Spelling Rules Group 3
- Vocabulary Development
- Comprehension Skills
- Teaching Composition and its link to Comprehension
- No More Sight Words!
- Literacy Statistics
- Reading and Shame
No special software or equipment is required to attend the online meetings, which will be held via a web-based meeting host called AnyMeeting.
- Each week of the course, we will email links to each registered participant that you will need in order to access the online meeting. If the name and/or email address you are using to place the order is different from that of the participant, or if you are registering multiple attendees at once, please contact us after placing your order to let us know the name and email address of each participant.
Copyright Notice: Our digital downloads come with a limited reproduction license. Licensed users may use the files on any device or computer and may print them, but may not sell, share, copy, transfer, or distribute files or prints to people not covered by the license.
Single Teacher License: This digital license is for use by only ONE teacher. Multiple teachers in the same school or multiple parents in the same co-op must each have their own purchased license.
Learn more about Logic of English PDFs.
We Also Recommend