Essentials Reader - Annual Classroom PDF
The Essentials Reader:
Readings to Accompany Logic of English Essentials
Engage the interest and build the confidence of older struggling readers!
Licensed for use by one teacher with up to 40 students for one year.
Thirty high-interest passages controlled for the phonics and language concepts students are learning in Essentials. When combined with Essentials, students are able to successfully sound out every word, with no sight words or guessing, thereby building fluency and confidence. Combined with the Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide and Student Activity Book, The Essentials Reader may be used as a complete reading comprehension and composition program for upper elementary grades or struggling readers of any age.
These texts are designed with the older student in mind. While many early readers appear "babyish" to an older student, the Essentials Reader engages students with topics such as sports, history, science, and inspiring biographies. In addition the Essentials Reader supports students in developing developing fluency with the tools they are learning in Essentials, teaches academic vocabulary, and when combined with the Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide develops comprehension skills.
- High-interest texts written for older students!
- No sight words! - when introduced with the corresponding Essentials lessons
- Phonics controlled
- Natural language
- Fiction and non-fiction texts, including poems, a recipe, short stories, and informational texts
- Diverse topics such as sports, science, technology, and biographies
- Engaging illustrations and call-outs
- Scheduled as optional reading practice in the Essentials curriculum
- Pre-reading word lists marked with Logic of English spelling analysis markings
- Academic vocabulary
- Texts grow in length as students progress in ability
- Ages 8 to adult
- As a reading comprehension and composition curriculum for Grades 3-6
- Older struggling readers
- Students with dyslexia
- Students who are using Essentials or another complete, systematic phonics curriculum to strengthen basic reading skills.
- About The Essentials Reader
- Essentials: Multi-Level Reading, Spelling, Grammar, & Vocabulary
- On the blog: posts about helping struggling readers
- On our YouTube™ channel: Teaching Struggling Readers and Spellers
High-Interest, Controlled Texts
- Ten Quips
- Buck Got Stuck
- Acorns for Peter
- Bed Racing
- Just Call Her Shelly
- Molasses Banana Bread
- Felix the Frog
- Stars of the Sea
- The Toothpick Fighters
- William Kamkwamba
- Geothermal Energy
- The Tale of Paul Bunyan
- The Story of Chocolate
- A Perilous Escape
- Robert Smalls
- The Milkmaid, the Brothers, and the Lessons They Learned
- An Open Letter to the Banyan Tree
- The Boy Who Wanted a Drum
- The Message of the Drum
- Grace Murray Hopper
- Billy Mills
- Sepak Takraw
- Robert Louis Stevenson
- Biddy Mason
- Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide
- Essentials Reader Student Activity Book
- Essentials - These reading passages are designed to accompany Essentials lessons and provide practice with the reading and spelling concepts introduced.
- Downloadable PDF format. Includes two versions:
- Printable version - PDF formatted for printing, with minimized color, and with pages arranged in the right order to print as an entire booklet.
- Digital version - PDF formatted for a tablet, computer, or other electronic device
- Full color
- 184 pages
- Product SKU: CER1C
- Single Student/Family License version also available
A note for those using Essentials 1st Edition
The Reader lessons are numbered to correlate with the appropriate lesson in Essentials 2nd Edition. The reader may also be used with the first edition, but some adjustment will be necessary because of the difference in lesson numbering between the two editions. Appendix A, at the back of the Reader, indicates which phonograms and rules students need to have learned before reading each lesson's texts.
Copyright Notice: Our digital downloads come with a limited reproduction license. Licensed users may use the files on any device or computer and may print them, but may not sell, share, copy, transfer, or distribute files or prints to people not covered by the license.
Limited Reproduction Annual Classroom License: This digital license is for use by only ONE teacher with up to 40 of his/her direct students. Multiple teachers in the same school must each have their own purchased license. This license expires on July 31, 2017.
Learn more about Logic of English PDFs.
We Also Recommend