Essentials Reader Classroom 20-Student Starter Set
Add fluency practice, reading comprehension, and composition to your Essentials instruction
Everything you need to teach The Essentials Reader, with materials for 20 students! Save 10% on all teacher and student materials.
Package SKU: PERSS20
The Essentials Reader Classroom Starter Set is recommended for:
- Second through Fifth Grade classes beginning Logic of English Essentials as their main ELA curriculum for Spelling, Grammar, Vocabulary, and Reading
- Middle School classes teaching Essentials for Spelling, Grammar, and Vocabulary, as a reading supplement for struggling readers within the class
- Remedial Reading classes for ages 8 to adult that are using Essentials
- Learn more about using Essentials in your setting
This set includes everything you need to teach 20 students using The Essentials Reader - at 10% off!
Reusable Student Materials - student copies plus one teacher copy
Student Consumables - student copies plus one teacher copy
Teaching More than 20 Students?
For additional students, add:
- The Essentials Reader (one per student; reusable)
- The Essentials Reader Student Activity Book (one per student; consumable)
About The Essentials Reader
Thirty high-interest passages controlled for the phonics and language concepts students are learning in Essentials. When using the Reader in conjunction with Essentials, students are able to successfully sound out every word, with no sight words or guessing, thereby building fluency and confidence. The Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide and Student Activity Book provide comprehension questions, pre- and post-reading activities, handwriting practice, and composition exercises, making The Essentials Reader a complete reading comprehension and composition program for upper elementary grades or struggling readers of any age.
These texts are designed with the older student in mind. While many early readers appear "babyish" to an older student, The Essentials Reader engages students with topics such as sports, history, science, and inspiring biographies. In addition, The Essentials Reader supports students in developing fluency with the tools they are learning in Essentials, teaches academic vocabulary, and develops comprehension skills.
- High-interest texts written for older students!
- No sight words! - when introduced with the corresponding Essentials lessons
- Phonics controlled
- Natural language
- Fiction and non-fiction texts, including poems, a recipe, short stories, and informational texts
- Diverse topics such as sports, science, technology, and biographies
- Engaging illustrations and call-outs
- Scheduled as optional reading practice in the Essentials curriculum
- Pre-reading word lists marked with Logic of English spelling analysis markings
- Academic vocabulary
- Texts grow in length as students progress in ability
- Ages 8 to adult
- As a reading comprehension and composition curriculum for Grades 3-6
- Older struggling readers
- Students with dyslexia
- Students who are using Essentials or another complete phonics curriculum to strengthen basic reading skills.
- About The Essentials Reader
- Essentials: Multi-Level Reading, Spelling, Grammar, & Vocabulary
- On the blog: posts about helping struggling readers
- On our YouTube™ channel: Teaching Struggling Readers and Spellers
High-Interest, Controlled Texts
- Ten Quips
- Buck Got Stuck
- Acorns for Peter
- Bed Racing
- Just Call Her Shelly
- Molasses Banana Bread
- Felix the Frog
- Stars of the Sea
- The Toothpick Fighters
- William Kamkwamba
- Geothermal Energy
- The Tale of Paul Bunyan
- The Story of Chocolate
- A Perilous Escape
- Robert Smalls
- The Milkmaid, the Brothers, and the Lessons They Learned
- An Open Letter to the Banyan Tree
- The Boy Who Wanted a Drum
- The Message of the Drum
- Grace Murray Hopper
- Billy Mills
- Sepak Takraw
- Robert Louis Stevenson
- Biddy Mason
You will also need:
- Essentials These reading passages are designed to accompany Essentials lessons and provide practice with the reading and spelling concepts introduced.
- Full color
- 184 pages
- 102 pages
- Full color
- 204 pages
- Black and white
Weight (full set): 50.7 lb.
We Also Recommend