Essentials 1-7 Complete Classroom Starter Set
Everything you need to teach Essentials Lessons 1-7 with up to 20 students! Save 10% on all teacher and student materials.
Set includes all materials for one teacher and 20 students, including reusable student and teacher supplements and 21 copies of each consumable.
- Ages 8 to adult
- Grades 2-6 as a main classroom Spelling, Grammar, and Vocabulary program
- Struggling readers age 8 to adult
- Struggling spellers age 8 to adult
- Students with dyslexia
- Students who have completed Foundations and are ready to go deeper with the phonograms and rules, build spelling mastery, and learn grammar and new vocabulary concepts. (Foundations is not a prerequisite. Learn more.)
- Anyone who wants to learn why English words are spelled the way they are.
Highlights of Essentials
- Differentiated instruction
- Three levels of spelling and vocabulary in each lesson - teach multiple times or differentiate instruction within one classroom
- Discovery-based instruction
- Engaging activities
- Meaningful practice
- Scripted lessons
- Extensive helps and teacher tips
- 75 Phonograms
- 31 Spelling Rules
- Parts of Speech, punctuation rules, capitalization rules
- Efficient vocabulary instruction with prefixes, suffixes, and Greek and Latin roots
- Optional reading comprehension supplement, The Essentials Reader
- See notes below for materials to add if the student needs handwriting instruction.
- If needed, use the ten optional Pre-Lessons in the 1-7 Teacher's Guide to strengthen foundational skills before beginning Lesson 1. There is a Placement Test to help you determine the right starting point for each student.
Essentials 1-7 Complete Classroom Starter Set
This set includes all the components of Essentials needed to teach the first seven lessons of the curriculum - typically a quarter to a semester depending on your pace - to twenty students.
- 1 - Essentials Teacher's Guide, Lessons 1-7
- 1 - Basic Phonogram Flash Cards
- 1 - Spelling Rule Flash Cards
- 1 - Advanced Phonogram Flash Cards
- 1 - Grammar Flash Cards
- 1 - Morpheme Flash Cards, Lessons 1-7
- 1 - Phonogram and Spelling Rule Quick Reference
- 1 - Spelling Analysis Card
Student Supplements (Reusable)
- 5 - Phonogram Game Cards - 1 Bookface deck
- 5 - Phonogram Game Cards - 1 Handwriting deck (choose Cursive or Manuscript in the drop down menu above)
- 10 - Phonogram Game Tiles
Student Consumables (1 per student, plus teacher copy)
- Student Whiteboard - recommended (included in Rhythm of Handwriting Complete Set)
- Rhythm of Handwriting - if handwriting instruction is needed
- The Essentials Reader, with accompanying Student Activity Book and Essentials Reader Teacher's Guide - reading comprehension supplement, recommended with Essentials for struggling readers age 8 and up.
- Materials for Essentials Lessons 8-30 - after completing these lessons
Teaching multiple students?
Each additional student will need:
- Essentials Student Workbook, Lessons 1-7
- Spelling Journal (one per student)
- Student Whiteboard (recommended; included in Rhythm of Handwriting Set)
- Optional: Phonogram Game Cards (add additional sets if teaching more than four students; used in groups of four)
- Optional: Phonogram Game Tiles (we recommend one set for every one or two students)
- Essentials does not teach handwriting. Students may complete Essentials lessons with either cursive or manuscript handwriting; the sample text is in a standard bookface font to allow greater flexibility.
- Choose your second set of Phonogram Game Cards (using the drop down menu above) according to which handwriting style the student is using. This enables students to practice reading the phonograms both as they appear in books and as they appear in writing.
If Handwriting Instruction is Needed
- If the student struggles with handwriting or needs handwriting instruction, introduce either cursive or manuscript using The Rhythm of Handwriting. The Essentials Pre-Lessons include a suggested schedule for integrating Rhythm of Handwriting instruction.
- Learn why we recommend beginning handwriting instruction with cursive.
Continuing through Essentials
After completing these lessons, add the new materials for Lessons 8-15. Continue with Lessons 16-22 and 23-30 when you are ready for them. At a pace of one lesson per week, you can complete all 30 lessons in a school year; at a pace of half a lesson per week you will complete about 15 lessons in a school year.
The entire curriculum, Lessons 1-30, can then be reused up to two additional times at a more advanced level of instruction, depending on which starting level is right for your class.
SKU: PE2S1CP - Essentials 1-7 Complete Set with Cursive game cards
SKU: PE2S1MP - Essentials 1-7 Complete Set with Manuscript game cards
Shipping Weight: 38 lbs.
Essentials Teacher's Guide, Lessons 1-7
- Lessons 1-7
- 352 pages
- Full color
- Casebound textbook
Essentials Student Workbook, Lessons 1-7
- 113 pages
Logic of English Spelling Journal
- 79 pages
Logic of English Cursive & Manuscript School Fonts © David Occhino Design.
PE12CSS20 - Essentials 1-7 Classroom Set with Cursive Game Cards
PE12MSS20 - Essentials 1-7 Classroom Set with Manuscript Game Cards
We Also Recommend