Uncovering the Logic of English: A Common-Sense Approach to Reading, Spelling, and LIteracy is a multiple-award winning book which reveals the phonograms and spelling rules that explain 98% of English words. The rules are presented in an easy-to-read, straightforward manner with ample examples. Their relevance to spelling and teaching reading is highlighted through stories which lighten the topic and clearly demonstrate the vital need for this knowledge in our classrooms, businesses, and society.
Discover this revolutionary method that Dr. Temple Grandin called
"Really helpful for teaching reading to children who are mathematical pattern thinkers..."
Predominant reading methods require students to break the complex code of English without help. This has resulted in low literacy rates and explains why many highly educated professionals cannot spell. By revealing the logical patterns underlying 98% of English words, Uncovering the Logic of English eliminates the need to guess and provides a logical solution to English spelling.
Simple answers are given for questions such as:
- "Why is there a silent final E in have?"
- "Why don't we drop the E in noticeable?"
- "Why is discussion spelled with -sion rather than -tion?"
As the rules unfold it becomes apparent how this knowledge is vital to reversing the educational crisis that is plaguing America. This slim volume is accessible to parents and classroom teachers. A thorough appendix summarizes the most important concepts for quick reference.
Uncovering the Logic of English:
- Logically explains the spelling of 98% of English words.
- Systematically teaches the reasons behind English spelling.
- Introduces nine reasons for a silent final E.
- Demonstrates the importance of learning the three Latin spellings of the sound /sh.
- Teaches how to add a suffix to any English word.
- Reveals the importance of learning roots for reading comprehension and vocabulary development.
- Provides a clear solution to the difficulty of English dialects in regards to spelling.
- Includes extensive charts and tables for personal and classroom reference.
- Is not a curriculum, nor does it require the use of The Logic of English® Curriculum.
- May be used to supplement other reading and spelling curricula, as a guide to evaluating curriculum, or simply as a personal reference to better understand how English works.
- Is sure to be a favorite with Scrabble players, word lovers, teachers, parents, and anyone who wants to better understand the logic of English spelling.
For additional information on this book, as well as sample chapters and excerpts, click here.
Requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader or compatible reader required. Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for a variety of platforms. More information and a free downloadable Reader can be found at http://get.adobe.com/reader.
|Title||Uncovering the Logic of English|
|Subtitle||A Common-Sense Approach to Reading, Spelling, and Literacy|